Bihari Style chicken
Spice Up Your Dinner with this Finger-Lickin' Bihari Style Chicken!
Looking to add a burst of flavor to your dinner? Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with this irresistible Bihari Style Chicken recipe! If you crave a perfect blend of spices and succulent chicken, then you've come to the right place. We've got the answer for your culinary desires.
Bihari-style chicken is all about creating a symphony of spices that infuse every bite with a rich and aromatic experience. With ingredients like turmeric, red chili powder, and a medley of whole spices, this recipe promises to take your taste buds on a delightful journey. Whether you're a seasoned Bihari cuisine enthusiast or new to these flavors, this recipe is bound to leave a lasting impression.
Imagine savoring the warm and earthy notes of turmeric, the fiery kick of red chili, and the tenderness of perfectly cooked chicken. It's the ideal dish to satiate your cravings and leave you wanting more. Ready to transform your dinner into a memorable feast? Let's dive into the world of Bihari-style chicken.
Portion servings: 4-5 pax
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Calories: 292 kcal per portion
Chicken curry cut 500 gms
Salt 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Mustard oil ½ cup
Cinnamon 1 inch
Bay leaf 2 pcs
Black pepper 6-7 pcs
Black cardamom 2 pcs
Green cardamom 3-4 pcs
Cloves 4-5 pcs
Onion sliced 2 cups
Whole garlic 2 pcs
Green chillies 3 pcs 3-4 pcs
Ginger 1 inch
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Red chilli powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Coriander chopped 1 tbsp
1. Begin by thoroughly washing and cleaning the chicken. Once it's clean, transfer it to a bowl.
2. Marinate the chicken by adding a generous pinch of turmeric powder and salt. Allow it to rest and absorb the flavours for 10-15 minutes.
3. Heat a pan on medium-high heat and add mustard oil. Let the oil heat until it begins to smoke slightly. Be patient; this step is essential for the dish's authentic flavour. Once the oil is adequately hot, let it cool down slightly.
4. Gently add the marinated chicken to the pan. Sauté it on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, ensuring that it gets a golden sear. When done, transfer the chicken to a separate bowl.
5. In the same pan, add a mix of aromatic spices - cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, black pepper, black cardamom, and green cardamom. Let them sizzle and release their fragrant essence.
6. Incorporate thinly sliced onions and a pinch of salt into the pan. Sauté the onions until they turn translucent, infusing them with the spices' flavours.
7. Add whole garlic cloves and green chilies to the cooking onions, continuing to sauté the mixture. This step enhances the dish's depth of flavour.
8. In a mortar and pestle, crush some fresh ginger and green chilies. Once the onions are well-cooked, introduce the pounded ginger and green chilli paste and continue sautéing. The ginger and chilli paste will bring a delightful heat and freshness to the dish.
9. Further enhance the flavour profile by adding more spices - turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and a touch of salt. Stir these spices into the mixture, allowing them to bloom and coat the ingredients.
10. Now, reintroduce the partially cooked chicken into the pan. Stir to combine the chicken with the fragrant spices and onions. Pour in a bit of water to create a flavorful, aromatic gravy.
11. Let the chicken simmer in this gravy for 15-20 minutes, allowing it to absorb the flavours and cook to tender perfection.
12. Just before finishing, add a handful of freshly chopped coriander and a dash of garam masala powder. Continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes to meld the final flavours.
13. Your Bihari-style chicken is now ready to be served. This dish is a harmonious medley of spices, aromatics, and succulent chicken, offering a taste of the rich culinary heritage of Bihar.
Bihari-style chicken is a delectable treat for anyone who appreciates the fusion of flavours that Indian cuisine has to offer. It's perfect when served with steamed rice or fresh Indian bread like roti or naan. Enjoy!
Don't miss this opportunity to bring the rich flavors of Bihar into your home. Try out this Bihari-style chicken recipe and treat yourself to a truly authentic culinary experience. Make sure to explore our additional recipes, courses, and books, so you can continue your culinary journey and elevate your skills to the next level.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
What makes Bihari-style chicken unique?
Bihari-style chicken is renowned for its rich blend of spices and the use of aromatic herbs like cinnamon and cardamom, which sets it apart from other chicken dishes.
Can I prepare Bihari-style chicken in advance?
Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time and reheat it when you're ready to serve. The dish tastes best when it is served fresh!
Can I adjust the level of spiciness in this dish?
Yes, you can control the spiciness by adjusting the amount of red chili powder and green chilies to suit your taste.
What are some traditional side dishes to accompany Bihari-style chicken?
This dish pairs well with steamed rice, roti, or naan bread. You can also serve it with a side of raita for a cooling contrast to the spiciness.
How long should I marinate the chicken for the best flavor?
A marination time of 10-15 minutes allows the chicken to absorb the flavors adequately, but you can extend it for a more intense flavor.
Can I use boneless chicken for this recipe?
While bone-in chicken is traditional, you can certainly use boneless chicken if you prefer.
Are there any special cooking techniques I should be aware of for this dish?
The key technique is to allow the mustard oil to smoke slightly before cooking the chicken, as this imparts an authentic flavor to the dish.
What role does garam masala play in this recipe?
Garam masala is added towards the end to enhance the dish's aroma and flavor, giving it that distinctive Bihari-style touch.