1. Wash the rice and soak it in water for about 3-4 hours.
2. Heat the milk in a big vessel till it comes to a boil.
3. Drain the rice and gently add it to the Milk.
4. Cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, till the rice is cooked and the Kheer reaches a thick consistency.
5. Add the Sugar, Cardamom powder and Raisins. Keep stirring till the sugar is dissolved and desired consistency is reached.
6. The Kheer will thicken more once it cools so adjust the consistency accordingly. If you think it has become too thick, you may add a bit of Milk here.
7. Take it off the heat and garnish as desired. I have used Cashews, Raisins and Pistachios here, you may also use slivers of almonds or any other dry fruit you prefer.
8. You may serve it warm or absolutely chilled as per your choice.